market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmers Market question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmers Market question
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:52:19 GMT

Are there any stores that are closed on weekends with an adequate
parking lot? A bank? I would look for the high traffic areas of
course, and start asking. Take in a nice basket of produce. Explain
how a market truly is an asset to the community. Every time you
advertise your market you will be mentioning that it is located
in "blanks parking lot" so this store, bank whatever receives more
publicity without ever spending a dime. If you don't have very many
vendors look for something small to start out. As you grow, your
community will realize that a farmers market is an important asset,
and they will become more cooperative.
I would keep after your county agent. He needs to support your
market. If you keep asking eventually he will realize that you are
serious, that you are not going away, and it might be in his best
interests to start supporting Ag in his community!
Good luck,
Carla in Oklahoma