market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] strawberry prices?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] strawberry prices?
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 16:41:21 -0400

I went to a local farm stand/store after farmers market (where we sold out of berries at $4.00 a pint in under 15 minutes but had very few due to an industrious robin that has figured out our bird netting) and they had quarts of conventional berries for $4.75. I do not know if they grew them as they also had maters and peaches which are not available locally yet.

If this person had come up to me and said his sister was selling berries for $2.00 a quart I would have replied that it is nice she can give them away ;-p.

Rivka, since your berries sold so well for you they are not priced too high at all.

road's end farm wrote:
Thanks all for pricing info; here's some in return --

Local retail Mennonite store had strawberries this week for 3.99 / quart.

Produce auction prices down the road were running 3.00 to 4.00 / quart, sometimes in large batches.

I put mine out at market at 2.50 / pint and they disappeared at a high rate of speed (if I'd had lots, I was going to also put out quarts at 4.50 / quart; but as supply was short I put them all out in pints). In some areas certified organic would get a higher premium; but around here you can usually only get a little extra.

Then somebody stopped by the stand and said his sister was selling hers roadside for 2.00 / quart. Well, there's always somebody; I'm going to stick with my price . . . Anyway, organic strawberries take a lot of handweeding. There's no way I'd sell them for 2.00.