market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] strawberry prices?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] strawberry prices?
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 15:47:40 -0400

Thanks all for pricing info; here's some in return --

Local retail Mennonite store had strawberries this week for 3.99 / quart.

Produce auction prices down the road were running 3.00 to 4.00 / quart, sometimes in large batches.

I put mine out at market at 2.50 / pint and they disappeared at a high rate of speed (if I'd had lots, I was going to also put out quarts at 4.50 / quart; but as supply was short I put them all out in pints). In some areas certified organic would get a higher premium; but around here you can usually only get a little extra.

Then somebody stopped by the stand and said his sister was selling hers roadside for 2.00 / quart. Well, there's always somebody; I'm going to stick with my price . . . Anyway, organic strawberries take a lot of handweeding. There's no way I'd sell them for 2.00.