market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] well storage tank?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Schuler <sunnfarm AT verizon.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] well storage tank?
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 13:45:33 -0500 (CDT)

Your right. My electric turbine puts out 200 gpm and I can not throttle it
back. I have to use up the water one way or another. When you try to
regulate it to pump less water like with a very small out put pipe, the
remaining water remains in and around the turbine impellers down in the
bottom of the well. This can cause the water to heat up to the boiling point
and wreck the turbine. A well turbine needs flowing water to keep it cool...
Bob
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.
BTW Thank you to all who sent a few spare clouds my way. We are finally
getting a nice slow rain, hope it lasts a couple days...

Well..... maybe I'm full of it, but I haven't known of a pump with such
behavior. My mental model of an electric pump is that it draws a fixed
amount of current when running and you can choke it down to produce as
little water as you want but you still use that fixed amount of
electricity.

I know a peach grower that has a big diesel engine driving his pump.
He is able to throttle the engine up and down to produce the desired
quantity of water. But all the electric pumps I know of are fixed
speed.

Since my plumbing is only good for 60 psi or so, I start to break
things when I allow pressure up to that level.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 441 days 19 hours 58 minutes