market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] 20 Row Tray Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] 20 Row Tray Question
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 21:24:25 -0400

Thanks, for this, Dave. I'm intrigued! Any chance of getting photos? _Allan

I get some 2’x4’ plastic “egg crate” panels and some long T-hangers from Menards. The egg crate panels have upright ribs separating out 1/2” open squares, and are meant for ceiling fixtures that hold 48” fluorescent lights. I cut them into pieces 16 squares by 35 squares—the right size to fit in a standard 10.5”x21” tray. You get 5 such pieces per panel, plus an extra that can be pieced together to make another. T hangers are plastic things about an inch tall that have a T-shaped cross section. They are intended for hanging false ceiling panels. I chop the T-hangers into short sections, 2 or 3 to fit crosswise in each tray. So now in each tray you have pieces of upside down Ts supporting a rigid platform of egg crate sections. Lay on that a cut-to-fit piece of capillary fabric, with a strip feeding down underneath to wick water up. The 20 row trays now fit perfectly on top, supported on both edges and bottom, and kept moist by the capillary mat. You just have to replenish the water every few days. Everything can be re-used year after year.