market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] 20 Row Tray Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: dave.kathy AT att.net (Dave & Katharine Campbell)
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] 20 Row Tray Question
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 01:12:50 +0000

Yeah, well, I had that same problem, too.  I first tried slicing down some old trays to the right height to go with the 20-row inserts, but that weakened them too much and they didn’t last.  So here’s what I do now, for what it’s worth:

I get some 2’x4’ plastic “egg crate” panels and some long T-hangers from Menards.  The egg crate panels have upright ribs separating out 1/2” open squares, and are meant for ceiling fixtures that hold 48” fluorescent lights.  I cut them into pieces 16 squares by 35 squares—the right size to fit in a standard 10.5”x21” tray.  You get 5 such pieces per panel, plus an extra that can be pieced together to make another.  T hangers are plastic things about an inch tall that have a T-shaped cross section.  They are intended for hanging false ceiling panels.  I chop the T-hangers into short sections, 2 or 3 to fit crosswise in each tray.  So now in each tray you have pieces of upside down Ts supporting a rigid platform of egg crate sections.  Lay on that a cut-to-fit piece of capillary fabric, with a strip feeding down underneath to wick water up. The 20 row trays now fit perfectly on top, supported on both edges and bottom, and kept moist by the capillary mat.  You just have to replenish the water every few days.  Everything can be re-used year after year.

A few other thoughts:  I like the sturdy light green trays I get from Parks, because you can carry everything around and the weight inside won’t collapse the tray.  That means I can start my onions under lights in the basement, but transport them out to the barn to continue growing behind a polycarbonate door I’ve rigged.  Don’t, however, use those sturdy green trays to start head lettuce or solaneae on heating pads, because the heat won’t penetrate through them well enough to cause germination.  You’ve got to use the regular thin-plastic black trays for that.  Also, you can use egg crate pieces and capillary mats without T hangers for the 128-cell trays—that fits nicely, too.  Oh, and mixing a little fish or kelp extract in the bottom water helps nourish the growing plants.  But beware—don’t use fish extract fertilizer when you put the trays outside to harden off, at least if you have raccoons around.  The coons will trash everything looking for the fish!

Anyhow, that’s how I do it…

Dave Campbell

Tiffin IA  (Zone 5)

-------------- Original message from Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>: --------------