market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] bundles of vegetables

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: farmersue AT hughes.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] bundles of vegetables
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 08:49:26 -0500

On Mar 4, 2007, at 8:57 PM, Sue Wells wrote:

""I have a couple greenhouse supply catalogs that show the green paper with
wire twist ties:

4" $3.23
8" $6.01
16" $11.06
Per 1000""

Would this be ok for organic?
Thank you. Sue

I don't know whether the ones sold for tying up plants are food grade materials. If they are, I would think they should be OK, though I'd check with your certifier; but I don't know whether they're treated with something so that they hold up longer in the field, in which case they might be a problem, not only for organic, but for anyone using them in direct contact with the market produce.

Grocery supply, etc., places carry twisties meant for produce: for instance, Hubert's:

www.hubert.com
800-543-7374 fax 800-527-0128
9555 Dry Fork Road, Harrison, Ohio 45030-1994

Prices vary a good deal according to length, material, and whether there's a write on area; some prices are in the range of those above. One version of the "imprinted foil tie" type says "Organically Grown" on the twistie; those are the ones I usually get. Last year they were 14.99/1000; they're 18" long and I usually cut them in half or thirds before using, and get more out of the bundle. My Hubert's 06 catalogue does have a small-order charge, $5 on orders under $50; though it's a huge catalogue and you might want something else there.