market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] winter weather

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elaine Granata" <elainegranata AT peoplepc.com>
  • To: <farmersue AT hughes.net>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] winter weather
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 21:11:17 -0700

Sue: Last report I heard about 10,000 head were lost. Apparently the 15 foot
snow drifts made it hard for even the plows to get near the animals with
hay. I heard that some of the counties were declared federal disaster areas,
so they got some help.

We've has snow on the ground in Denver since Dec 20th-- unusal for us--it
usually melts before a next snow but we've had 7 -8 consecutive weekends of
snow. Warmed up a bit this week, so lots of melt, but it's all downstream of
storage reserviors. No crocuses in the middle of Feb this year, which is
what typically happens around here. But the days are longer-- yea!

Elaine
Denver