market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Grower Only Farmers Markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost AT lobo.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Grower Only Farmers Markets
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:14:54 -0700

Our nearby market in Santa Fe is producer only but needs no such paperwork.
It would be fairly obvious that tomatoes and oranges in March aren't grown
locally but trucked hundreds of miles. Any suspicion can be settled by a
quick trip to the farm. Late in the season we see vendors selling corn they
get from a local grower, but they're both local. I don't see the problem
with that, point being they're local and the produce is fresh. If there's a
fuss about the vendor not being the producer they'd just hire the vendor
and then he's their employee doing the selling. Local only is more to the
point than producer only. Another point: if I don't have enough to sell to
pay for the time and expense, what's wrong with having another grower sell
for me and getting a cut? It's still local and fresh.

paul tradingpost AT lobo.net