market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] greenhouse recommendations?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Home Grown Kansas! <hgkansas AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] greenhouse recommendations?
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 06:53:38 -0800 (PST)

How unfortunate - good luck on your recovery.

We changed greenhouses last year.  We had used a hoop house style for many years, but we did not replace it with another.  This time we switched to a passive solar design - that is more energy efficient.  The back wall is framed shut, as are small portions of the east and west wall.  On the back wall we have water barrels stacked 2 high.  We make benches using the water barrels - with 2" Styrofoam on the top of the barrels along with a sub-straight covered in black plastic.  The south facing roof section is positioned at approximately 60 degrees and is covered with a clear skin.  The back/south roof section is framed, insulated and covered with a roofing material.  We also built a cold frame onto the south wall.  We like this design much better and it is much easier to keep warm than the hoop house we once had.

I might mention that we use the greenhouse for starting plants for our own use and the growing of micro greens.  The above mention design works very well for us.  I have enclosed a few links below that you may or may not find interesting, but will explain the concept.

Again, good luck on your recovery.

The Passive Solar Greenhouse - basics
http://www.palmsociety.org/public/english/chamaerops/032_1_3.shtml

Solar Greenhouses - more links on this page - excellant resource
http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/solar-gh.html

I like this one also.
http://www.passivesolargreenhouse.com/

Elzie
Home Grown Kansas!
Wichita, Kansas

Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net> wrote:
Leigh - It breaks my heart to hear that this happened to you and your
starting setup. Thank god you and you Sinatra collection were spared!

I'd go with a cathedral roof and the closest hoop spacing you can
afford, since I imagine we'll see the flipside of 'shirtless winter'
in the next year or so. My house is 32x100, which puts the purlon WAY
up there. Ive been watching growers the past few years working with
several smaller houses and having a lot less hassle putting the
houses up and skinning them.

Aside from that, this is my usual recommendation:

Ledgewood Farm (Moultonboro, New Hampshire)
603-476-8829

Contact: Ed Person (tell Ed that I sent you!)

The great thing about Ed, besides that his structures come
recommended by the best in the business (at least before Universities
moved into hoop housing a couple of years ago) and he can totally
customize a house for you as far as width, height, etc. (AFAIK) And,
he should be somewhat cheaper than anyone else. The freight, though,
is a killer! (applies to ATLAS GREENHOUSES, as well, of course. ) The
2nd choice: Atlas Greenhouse Systems, Inc. (Alapaha, Georgia)
www.AtlasGreenhouse.com)

Good luck, brother!!

-Allan