market-farming - [Market-farming] greenhouse recommendations?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lhh AT hughes.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] greenhouse recommendations?
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 18:21:55 -0500

Last night we just had a disaster (but, of course, it could have been worst). A fire somehow started next to a shed (I was not home), which caught my woodpile which heated up the propane tanks, (that's about when I came home) which blew, torching my 32X96 greenhouse and contents. ( found out that one gallon of propane equals ten sticks of dynamite). Fortunately the wind was blowing away from our home and fortunately we stuccoed our house several years back so the only damage to our home, sitting 70 feet away, were windows cracked from the heat.

So the question is, if I'm going to start over again (and the thought makes me ill) but with all the toxic chemicals of the melted plastic and burnt flats (did you know potting soil burns?) in and around the old greenhouse I don't see rehabing it. I think I had better start over at a new location. What make of greenhouse do people recommend? What shape? The last one was about the right size for the seedlings I need to start in the spring. Do people have a favorite. My last one was heated by a woodboiler which was cheap on fuel with hot water running in pipes along the growing tables. Are there better ideas?

Any good ideas would be helpful.