market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] greenhouse recommendations?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] greenhouse recommendations?
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 22:19:08 -0500

Leigh - It breaks my heart to hear that this happened to you and your starting setup. Thank god you and you Sinatra collection were spared!

I'd go with a cathedral roof and the closest hoop spacing you can afford, since I imagine we'll see the flipside of 'shirtless winter' in the next year or so. My house is 32x100, which puts the purlon WAY up there. Ive been watching growers the past few years working with several smaller houses and having a lot less hassle putting the houses up and skinning them.

Aside from that, this is my usual recommendation:

Ledgewood Farm (Moultonboro, New Hampshire)
603-476-8829

Contact: Ed Person <ed AT ledgewoodfarm.com> (tell Ed that I sent you!)

The great thing about Ed, besides that his structures come recommended by the best in the business (at least before Universities moved into hoop housing a couple of years ago) and he can totally customize a house for you as far as width, height, etc. (AFAIK) And, he should be somewhat cheaper than anyone else. The freight, though, is a killer! (applies to ATLAS GREENHOUSES, as well, of course. ) The 2nd choice: Atlas Greenhouse Systems, Inc. (Alapaha, Georgia) www.AtlasGreenhouse.com)

Good luck, brother!!

-Allan