market-farming - [Market-farming] FW: greenhouse recommendations?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "maury sheets" <maurysheets AT verizon.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] FW: greenhouse recommendations?
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:57:21 -0500

Hi Leigh,

Sorry to hear about the disaster, at least no one was hurt. Being new to the
list, I don't know where you live, but in South Jersey, I use a guy that
will bend the pipe and have all the connections for install (except the
ends). I built a 30x96 arch style for under $5,000.00 (for the pipe and
fittings only). We used 2 inch galvanized schedule 40 pipe every four feet
due to our possible snow loads. It has six foot sides, which makes the peak
17 feet high. I put a board at six feet along each side so I can remove the
plastic from there down to the ground for the summer and put screening on
it. It does save a lot of energy. I would never buy a greenhouse kit, they
are just too expensive.
Good luck.

Maury Sheets

Woodland Produce- Fairton, New Jersey
Hydroponically producing sustainable salad greens in the Northeast.