market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fall sales slump

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: cjmaness AT juno.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fall sales slump
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 15:43:52 -0500

Yes, we are using drip. Miles and miles of drip. That's what it feels
like when I'm pulling all the old stuff out so we can till and replant.
We don't mulch though. We've never been able to figure out a good way to
do it. We don't like the idea of plastic mulch, and to try and do
anything else seems impossible.
We tried two different planting dates with our tomatoes this year. The
fall crop is producing, but not very much, and we have a lot of culls due
to cracking. We also planted several different indeterminates and a few
heirlooms this year, trying to extend our season somewhat. This has not
been a good year for experimenting though. Record breaking temps. the
drought, and now we are dealing with the wind. It's not too hot, mid 80's
here, but the wind is blowing 30 miles an hour.
We've never grown Chard, and I don't think anyone ever asks for it. But
then, we grow a lot of things that no one asked for until we started
growing them.
It just seems like most people are coming to the market for tomatoes and
no one has any. It's not just us. None of the other vendors have any
either. I know it is a mostly weather type thing, but it's frustrating
none the less. We should be able to have perfectly nice tomatoes right
now!
I guess this is what keeps market gardening interesting though. There is
always next year, and something new to try.
Carla