market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fall sales slump

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: cjmaness AT juno.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fall sales slump
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:17:36 -0500

I guess I was hoping for the "magic" crop. That someone would write and
say, "oh haven't you tried ---------? It survives heat, drought, and
customers just can't get enough of it!
Our market is in a college town, and we certainly see a difference on
game days. We are selling out nearly every week, but we aren't bringing
enough produce to market either. That's the problem. To have something
coming off right now, means transplanting during the hottest, driest part
of the year. We tried, and not much survived.
The number one question asked at market week in and week out is: how do
you cook this? Some people truly don't know how, and others are looking
for new recipes.
We've looked at, and have tried planting more in the spring and to make
more money then, to make up for the slump now. That works up to a point,
but we end up not getting things done, like mowing the lawn. We are so
busy trying to get it all picked that I miss planting dates in the
greenhouse, or I'm late transplanting to the field. Time is a big problem
around here.
I guess everyone goes through that though.
I supposed someday, we will get organized. Someday we will have a handle
on exact planting dates, how much to plant, and all of that other
management type stuff!
Carla