market-farming - [Market-farming] New Farmers' Market question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] New Farmers' Market question
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:44:54 -0400

There is a new complication with our Farmers' Market, set to open
tomorrow. The insurance carrier (general liability)won't insure us as we
are (a bunch of people coming together for a Farmers' Market). The only
solution they see is for one or both of the organizers to put the
insurance in our name (provide our social security number). Whoever does
that would be a "sole proprietor" -- the entity -- that is responsible for
the market.

That doesn't sound like a good idea to me; I worry enough about the
liability on my own farm. I don't want to be responsible for a lot of
other people. Any thoughts on this?

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA