market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] customer/vendor ratio at FM's

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: wildernessflowers AT comcast.net
  • To: Mr Lucky <steve AT mrlucky.com>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] customer/vendor ratio at FM's
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:58:13 +0000

hi folks

santa fe farmers market (purported to be in the top 10 ) had peak saturday
vendors at ~ 150 ..now maybe 110 ... customers say they spend ~ 20 a day ..
tuesday market is almost dead with 10 vendors max .
we closed thursday markets a few years ago

survey a few years ago said customers @ 5000/day (saturday)

now with a new site ..more local... whole foods... competiiton ..maybe 3500
?? we need 400-600 parking spaces per hour ...another problem at new
temporary site ...so that number sounds right

there seems to be a loyal following for several large vendors ( making 2-3 k
at a market ,but at what cost ???)with less overflow /new customers to go
around to new/part time /smaller vendors.

so weve got a coop up and running and that is taking up lots of slack
with csa-like sales as well as wholesale
martin
--
3 Roy Crawford Lane
Santa Fe' New Mexico