market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] customer/vendor ratio at FM's

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mr Lucky" <steve AT mrlucky.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] customer/vendor ratio at FM's
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 07:57:09 -0800

If folks are willing, I'd like to add something to this request for
market info. I am curious about average and peak gross daily income at
farmers' markets. I've collected such information from growers at
varous markets around Wisconsin and would like to hear from others about
what they take home after a day at market. If folks want to reply off
list, I can compile and then post the $ information without indentifiers.

Isn't it kind of irrelevant unless you know how much it costs to make that
money? I could bring in $500 a day but if it costs me $400 in seed, labor,
gas, etc, what does that figure mean? I could make $200 a day picking wild
grasses and selling extra eggs.

If I could start all over again, I'd never tell anyone how much I made and
I'd lay low if I had really good one. No one really wants to hear that you
had a killer day and it can build resentment. Now all I say is "pretty good
I guess", "not so well, it's pretty slow" or best of all "I haven't counted-
it's bad luck to count before the market's over!"

It's a fine exercise if you want to do it but I hope new or frustrated
growers don't get discouraged to hear their neighbor makes $800 a day
without knowing how much it costs to make so much.

Steve

Steve Sando
www.ranchogordo.com
New World Specialty Food