market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] customer/vendor ratio at FM's

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: JOHN A HENDRICKSON <jhendric AT wisc.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] customer/vendor ratio at FM's
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 08:41:10 -0600

Barb beat me to the punch. While I'm not a vendor at the large and fine
market in Madison (actually named the Dane County Farmers' Market see
http://www.madfarmmkt.org/index.asp), I knew the numbers. Past surveys
have also shown that those 20,000 people that come on Saturdays spend an
average of $20 at the market and $20 more at other downtown businesses.
Yes, downtown businesses, politicos, etc. love the market!

If folks are willing, I'd like to add something to this request for
market info. I am curious about average and peak gross daily income at
farmers' markets. I've collected such information from growers at
varous markets around Wisconsin and would like to hear from others about
what they take home after a day at market. If folks want to reply off
list, I can compile and then post the $ information without indentifiers.

-John