market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] get a rope/ was Market Legal Problems --Assistance Requested

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mark A Abner <wizard1 AT kih.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] get a rope/ was Market Legal Problems --Assistance Requested
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:30:03 -0400

Some states are forbiden unless permited legal system of law KY is permited
unless forbiden so
we do what we want unless some law says we cant. As to needing a permit to
assemble farmers on
private land. there is this little thing called the first amendment as I
recall there is some
specific wording in there like freedom of assembly. If the county has a
specific requirement
county wide about licenceing bussinesses then you may have to purchase a
license but if they do
make you buy a licence since licence is a type of tax they have to provide
services in exchange
for the tax like water and trash and fire protection. You also would have a
vote or
representitive in the county fiscal court to represent you in KY these are
magistrates and there
is a lot of competition for those positions so you can bring a good bit of
influence to bear on
the county fiscal court system if something is out of reason.
Personaly I would run my market and if the county shows up hand them a
copy of the first
amendment and a calling card for the civil liberties union and see what they
do. A lot of town
and county ordinances arnt enforcable anyway as they can only prosecute you
in district court
and the court can only try cases based in state law and the county cant
legislate state law so
once they know you will go to court they back off.
But I would have liability insureance on the land where the market is
being held so some
sore head dont stub his toe and sue the lot of you.

Mark