market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Subscription fee

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt Cheselka <cheselka AT freestateproject.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Subscription fee
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 09:59:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 3 May 2004, Mark A Abner wrote:

> Howdy Folks
>
> I know I am a new comer here but I am gonna ope my trap anyhow : )
> What is this talk about subsciption to the list? Yahoo doesnt charge for
> the list so it isnt costing anyone for it to exist and it seems to me
> that most of the posters are contrimbuting information rather than any
> one person being the be all and end all of the answer to all
> marketfarming questions. I just dont understand the idea that there
> needs to be a fee for being on the list.
> I one wanted to contract a particular list member as a consultant
> that would be between the two parties and much more in depth I would
> think than simply posting a question to the list Also if one is paying
> for information there would be a greater expectation for greater
> accuracy than can probably be achived from one not on the ground at a
> particular site. It just seems to me that this sort of list is a self
> supporting participatory community of folks ingaged in the same sort of
> activity or business

My understanding, and I could be totally wrong becuase I really don't
know, is that this particular list DOES cost money to keep in "our"
possession. The hosting company for the website charges "us", and the
domain name registration and ownership costs "us" something. Entities
like Yahoo and Hotmail get their funding from their advertisements, etc.,
and therefore can offer "free" services.

IMO, if we actually do want to be "free" (i.e., self-supporting, etc) then
the dollars need to come from our pockets.

As far as demanding accuracy if we start paying, I'd say that's not likely
or to be expected. If I were to make a contribution, it's be to make sure
this email list continues. I wouldn't have any other expectations.

I'm learning that no one can be a true "expert" in this field. People can
know a lot and have a lot of experience, but to actually *know* how
something as complex as plant growth works is still not within our grasp.
Case in point, some of you told me that I should just dump the seedlings
that had pretty much failed on me (remember? not a lot of leaf growth but
rootbound?). Well, I planted them anyhow and now they're almost ready for
market. About $100 worth of lettuce that I would have thrown away! So
sometimes even the experts get it wrong. ;)

Having said all that, I'll reiterate that I, too, would be more than happy
to make a small, regular contribution to make sure this email list keeps
going.

Happy Growing!

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce