market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] A Riddle ...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: OakCamp2 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] A Riddle ...
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 18:12:36 EST

I have found that low light levels of Jan/Feb really keep seedlings from taking off.  For this reason most of the plants I raise from seed are started in late Feb until the beginning of April, depending on the species.  It is amazing the difference even a week can make in the development of the plant.  Basil, for instance, does so much better when it is started in April and days are at least 12 hours long.  Soil heat can factor into this also.
Barb Birkinbine
Oak Camp Herb Farm, LLC
Lodi, WI