market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] A Riddle ...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] A Riddle ...
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:21:00 -0500

Matt when seedlings become rootbound they stunt out. I guess you grew them
under
very strong lights in rather cool conditions, at least that's the only reason
for
the short height and strong root system. Commercial plug growers get this
condition
from applying too much Bonsi growth retardant.
If I were you I would toss the whole mess and start again. A well rooted
young 4-5
week old seedling makes a great transplant but an older rootbound seedling
seldom
produces a good crop. Stunted seedlings usually make a stunted crop or at
best they
take a week or two longer to mature while they try to make fresh roots, and
over
come the hard old growth.
I will bet that if you start new seedlings today, they will outgrow your old
plants
and mature faster in the garden...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.