market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Reality testing: Building Permits

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Reality testing: Building Permits
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 11:23:43 -0600

I am a member of a zoning committee, and I can tell you that the "build it
first" strategy doesn't work very well here, as our farmland is disappearing
very quickly, and our town formed a grass roots plan that included
preserving open space. We have updated our zoning ordinance to reflect the
wishes of our town's residents.

We had a hearing the last few weeks about a fellow who "built it first", in
blatant defiance of our zoning ordinance. We did not allow him permission
to build, and he will need to tear down what he built.

As always, the wishes of the individual and the greater good must be
balanced. As individuals, we must advocate for our own best interests. The
purpose of the zoning committee is to consider the wishes of the individual
within the context of the community - its water, arable land, the wishes of
the community, etc. It is not an easy job, and is usually pretty thankless,
as many folks have the attitude "a guy should be able to do what he wants
with his land". What a person wants to do is VERY important, but must be
considered within the larger context of the community, the future of the
resources for those that live where we are in the years to come, etc.

Jill