market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: borrowed land

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elaine Granata" <ecgranat AT ouray.cudenver.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: borrowed land
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 08:33:38 -0700

Kevin: I rent land and have done so with a year to year lease for the first
two years until I was sure I wanted to continue. Now I'm negotiating a 15
year lease to insure her kids don't kick me off if she moves, dies, etc.
I've written into the lease that the lease goes with the property -- so any
sale, conservation easement, etc, must honor the lease. Also I put in there
that we can't make any changes during the growing season (defined as
seeding, growing or harvesting). I also pay her a minimim of $100. a year
or 10% of my profits (income less expenses). That way she has some sense
that she is a parrtial owner in the enterprise.

She and I like each other and get along, but I still wouldn't do this
without something in writing. I drafted my own lease, but I suppose you
could get a "stock" one or get an attorney.

Good luck.

Elaine