market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] rebar removal

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Art Petrzelka <art AT complum.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Alexander Christine <hummingberrylane AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] rebar removal
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 16:39:18 -0500

On Sunday 06 July 2003 07:03, Alexander Christine wrote:
> ground and I sure could use some advise as to how i
> can get the rebar out with ease. Is there a tool out
> there to make this job easier? I don't want to dig

We get T-posts out by wiggling them sideways. Treat it like a swing, and lean
into it from side to side. Then do it front-to-back (along the short part of
the T). You should be able to make enough space to pull it out. Depends on
how stout you are! With rebar, just wiggle in two directions. Once you've got
the hole widened at the top to about three times the post width, you should
have it.

I have seen a tool or two to pull posts. They are basically a stand with a
horizontal lever on it. A chain or long link goes over the post and catches
the T-bar under one of the notches and it pulls right out. This should work
fairly well on rebar with the corrugations.

Sometimes, we use chain and the tractor loader to pull bigger posts. The
smaller the chain, the smaller post you can pull. Use a slip hook on the end
so it will tighten up. The chain and hook should be small enough to wrap
around the post without projecting out. If the post is 1.5" wide, use chain
with a half-inch link length. The hook should be small enough then to let the
chain wrap around and contact as much of the post as possible while pulling
it out.

Hope this makes sense without being able to send pictures!
--
Art Petrzelka
Amana, Iowa