market-farming - [Market-farming] Market-Farming[dehydration]

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Andrews, Shirley F." <SAndrews AT AcademicBookServices.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Market-Farming[dehydration]
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 07:11:25 -0400

Now that summer veggies are in abundance (at least in this part of the country), I would like to find out tips and ideas for dehydrating.  I have an Excalibur temperature control dehydrator.  In the past I have made great banana and banana/blueberry roll ups, have dried cucumber and squash slices that made great tasting chips, and a few other things.  I would really like to know about green beans and other vegetables and especially how you used them after drying.  I also took a cooking class recently and they stated they took dried vegetables, ground them in powder and used them as a base for sauces.  Dried vegetables made into a soup mix might also be an option for adding as substitute when you are short on crops for your customers.  In nutrient order, dried follows fresh.

Shirley Andrews

Controller

Academic Book Services

Kudzu Book Traders