market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Garlic Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Garlic Question
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 23:53:21 -0500

I'm forwarding the post below, sans attached virus, which the server caught.
Now you know why postings must be size-limited ; )).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dave,
The answer to your garlic question depends on what your interpretation of
"mature enough for a harvest " means. Last year, I did an experimental plot
which included a spring and fall planting of the same variety. If you're
interested to see the pictures I took of the resulting bulbs, let me know
your e-mail and Ill be happy to forward them to you. The garlic matured just
fine ....meaning it it's cloves divided as they should and they were able to
be harvested and dried down just fine. The size of the bulbs is the deciding
factor. Fall planting is best but if you missed that and still want to try
it, from the results I had ...I would say you can get harvestable garlic
with
small bulb size. Hopefull, I can repeat this test again in a few weeks and
have at least two years worth of results to go by.

Good Luck.
Denise Cimmarrusti

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm