market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming Digest, Vol 1, Issue 186

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Rosholdt <rosholdt AT erols.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming Digest, Vol 1, Issue 186
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:09:36 -0500

RE: Garlic Question

I just went to a great garlic growing workshop by one of the movers and
shakers of the Garlic Seed Foundation. The answers to your questions (from
the workshop - not my limited experience) are as follows:

plant cloves for green garlic in the spring? Yes indeed, but if you want
regular garlic you must vernalize it first. 40 days at 40 degrees
fahrenheit. Then plant. You can plant the small bulbils or leftover cloves
in a row like bunching onions.
practical to buy a case of organic garlic from the food coop and plant those
cloves? You could start that way, but you need to grow out any variety for
at least 3 years to determine if it will "work" for you and your microclimate.

> Message: 9
> Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 16:46:05 -0500
> From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
> Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Garlic Question
> To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
>
> Moving right along with that question: it is possible to plant cloves
> for green garlic in the spring, isn't it? WHen planting for green
> garlic, is it practical to buy a case of organic garlic from the food
> coop and plant those cloves?
>
> Thanks -Allan

  • [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming Digest, Vol 1, Issue 186, Rosholdt, 02/26/2003