market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Garlic Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Garlic Question
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 21:10:11 -0500

Allan wrote:

Moving right along with that question: it is possible to plant cloves for green garlic in the spring, isn't it?

What do you mean by "green garlic"? If you mean cutting the garlic for greens and/or harvesting them as garlic scallions, that might work if you have a wet spring -- it makes me nervous since the garlic won't have the extensive root system it would have if it was fall planted, but since you're probably irrigate anyway if you're treating it like a green, it will probably work.

The term "Green Garlic" is also used for garlic bulbs that haven't been cured -- those need to be fall planted to produce, as would garlic that you are planning to cure.

WHen planting for green garlic, is it practical to buy a case of organic garlic from the food coop and plant those cloves?

You're just asking for disease problems when you buy food-grade garlic -- and once you've got onion family diseases, it's hard to keep them isolated. I wouldn't do it -- the reason you pay the prices for seed stock is that it should be as "clean" as possible -- if you buy garlic that has disease problems, I wouldn't go back to that supplier.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of