market-farming - [Market-farming] Squash hybrids vs. open pollinated

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "market-farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Squash hybrids vs. open pollinated
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:27:11 -0600

Recently, one of our relatives gave us some squash seeds. They had extracted
them from a Buttercup squash that they felt was the best tasting they had
ever had. She wanted us to plant the seeds for next year to see what kind of
result we would get.

I cautioned her that if it was a hybrid, we would not be able to get a true
offspring from the parent.

This was a squash purchased at a typical foodstore here in Wisconsin so it
was commercially grown.

We normally grow Acorn and Butternut, but not Buttercup, but maybe we will
give it a try this spring.

Are many or most squash that are grown generally an F1 hybrid?

Do any of you folks grow open pollinated cultivars and find them to be
better?

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm