market-farming - Re: Roadside Stands

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "RDH" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Roadside Stands
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 18:21:07 -0500

Jay Gee wrote:

With all due respect to your intentions, a web site such as
www.homesteadfoods.com is unlikely to bring traffic to the
average farmer with a web site.

The average farmer with a web site would be better off
investing their ad dollars where there is a direct result,
e.g., in a local newspaper classified announcement ad
that read

Reply:

Some of the subscribers are reporting that they are getting calls due as a
result of the site. Their contact info is there if you wish to verify.

Most farmers can't get a one week add for $30. The Homestead Foods project
gets them web presence as long as I am alive and can maintain the site and
they get a durable metal sign (made on a real estate blank) that offers some
brand identity. It would be far fetched to say that one could acquire a web
site at anywhere close to that cost, and if time means anything at all the
Homestead Foods project becomes a real bargain.

I work with organizations and agencies who haven't a clue who their target
audience is. One thing about food is that everyone is a target, so it
doesn't really matter to whom or where I market the site as long as it gets
attention.

BTW, I might as well ask. If anyone wants to send me the post paid return
envelopes they receive in their snail mail I am going to launch a campaign
for sustainable agriculture, family farms, and Homestead Foods project later
this year. I'm currently collecting all of the post paid envelopes I can
get my hands on. Am I getting paid for this? Nope. It is just something I
feel compelled to do.

Send the envelopes to:

Rick Hopkins
P.O. Box 190
Marionville, MO 65705

All E-mails are scanned with Norton Anti Virus 2002 prior to sending.