market-farming - Re: Roadside Stands

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Roadside Stands
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:22:29 +0000

Rick Hopkins wrote:

> Something that has me baffled is why people will get up at 6:00am to drive
> 70 miles to a farm in the middle of no where to pick up pastured poultry at
> $2 a pound, but will drive right past the farmer's market to a super center
> to buy their "fresh" produce.

This is a function of "Brand Expectations." The farm has created
an identity in the mind of the consumer which is something the
local farmers market has not done.

If you know someone who travels 70 miles to get their chickens
from a farm ask them why and listen carefully to what they say.
You might learn a lot.

Jay Gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming