market-farming - cheapskates and corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: wakely11 AT swbell.net
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: cheapskates and corn
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 08:17:50 -0700

I have two questions. The first has to do with cheapskates at my local
farmer's market. Is it common that buyers at market don't really want
to pay what your product is worth? Now bear in mind, I'm aware that if
we were really reimbursed for all our labor and back breaking days in
the field, we'd probably have to charge more than the local grocery
store and I'm also aware that most of us do this because we like it, not
because we plan to get rich. It just irks me that people would rather
buy a bouquet at Wal-Mart that has a vase life of 3-4 days for $4 than
pay a local farmer $5 for a bouquet that will last a week and a half.
It's not only flowers--seems the attitude applies to veggies too.

Second question has to do with corn. Has anyone ever tried getting an
early start on corn by using row covers or propogating in the greenhouse
and transplanting to the field?

No rain in a a month here, no rain in sight, and it's 104 in the shade.
If there was a market for grasshoppers we'd be millionaires. Wonder if
they ship well?

Nancy Wakely
Grand Canadian Farm
Zone 7