market-farming - Re: cheapskates and corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: cheapskates and corn
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 18:39:47 -0700

From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>

Some people like to negotiate and bargain with
anybody over anything. This is especially common
for individuals coming from countries where set
prices are not the rule and "everything is negotiable."

I have to agree here, many people do like to negotiate. We specialize in ethnic produce and this is the part of the business that I have the most difficulty with. This is why my husband and I have agreed that he is the one to go to market, he does a fantastic job and rarely drops the price (occassionaly someone comes along and claims 'I only have $3', then he caves in). We recently had one gentleman come to the farm and wanted to pay .75/lb for our black sour cherries, my response to him was one of those get out of my face looks. Thank goodness Brian was there to pick up the pieces and explain why his price wasn't possible and why ours was necessary, he bought 100 lbs. The ability to deal with individuals and situations is truly a gift and one that can be learned, personally I still prefer to dig my hands into the dirt - at this point anyways. Jacqueline