market-farming - Re: fall sugar snap peas?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT snip.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: fall sugar snap peas?
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:49:53 -0400

Jim & Julie Vaughn wrote:
>Our customers absolutely love sugar snap peas. The heat has zapped ours
>a couple of weeks ago and we still have people asking for them every
>week. Would an August planting for late September-early October harvest
>work in zone 6 or will it be too hot when the plants are coming up? Also
>would shade cloth work during the summer next year?

I'm in Zone 6 -- I would plant the peas NOW for a harvest in late September.
Actually, I've planted peas in the middle of July and done just fine with
them. The day length gets shorter as you head into fall which the plants
don't like, so you have to add 2 to 3 weeks to the maturity date.

Peas don't need shade cloth -- they like the heat to germinate, so they'll
pop right up after you plant them, but it's the heat when producing pods,
rather than the sun itself that they don't like. As the weather will get
cooler as you go into fall and the pods form, you won't have any problem
getting a harvest.

I'll get back to Garden Huckleberries later. . .

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of