internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Clock ticking on a free NC-540

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott <catfather AT donpoo.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Clock ticking on a free NC-540
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 21:36:20 -0400

On Aug 4, 2009, at 1:55 AM, Jeremy Portzer wrote:

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

I've used that on-ramp many times to get from my home near
Parkwood onto 147 to go north to downtown (I used to take
my son to school that way every day). Losing it will be a
HUGE blow to traffic congestion relief, not that the NCTA
really cares, though, I think.

Are you really sure about this? With a widened NC-54 and a new
interchange at Hopson Rd, there should be plenty of capacity to take the
load off the Alexander Dr. connection. Remember that much of the
traffic at that connection is going to NC-55 south (err, "east"). Once
147 connects easily to 540, bypassing I-40 with this new connector, much
of that traffic will presumably use this new route to get to 55 southbound.

So, I called and spoke with George who confirmed that in 2011 exiting via 5B off 147 south and on to Alexander drive will be closed. He didn't know of an alternate. I'm off the rest of the week and plan to do a little follow up.

I think the main impact here is the South Durham neighborhoods, Audubon Park and Parkwood, both of which use that ramp heavily to easily access downtown.

--
Scott <catfather AT donpoo.net>
AIM: BlueCame1