internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Clock ticking on a free NC-540

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Clock ticking on a free NC-540
  • Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 15:55:11 +1000

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

I've used that on-ramp many times to get from my home near
Parkwood onto 147 to go north to downtown (I used to take
my son to school that way every day). Losing it will be a
HUGE blow to traffic congestion relief, not that the NCTA
really cares, though, I think.

Are you really sure about this? With a widened NC-54 and a new interchange at Hopson Rd, there should be plenty of capacity to take the load off the Alexander Dr. connection. Remember that much of the traffic at that connection is going to NC-55 south (err, "east"). Once 147 connects easily to 540, bypassing I-40 with this new connector, much of that traffic will presumably use this new route to get to 55 southbound.

You may note that the connector from 147 to Alexander Dr was always intended to be temporary. That's why there's such a large curve there - 147 was always intended to continue south as the Triangle Parkway rather than turn west to Alexander Dr. Now, I realize that just because it was intended that way 30-40 years ago, doesn't mean it shouldn't be revised today. But it does show that the actual path of the new 147-Triangle Parkway connection will not really intersect Alexander Dr - a new connector road would need to be built. Hopson Rd is close by and will serve the general "south RTP" local traffic, without having an interchange too close to the I-40 interchange (you can't have exits too close to each other and maintain "interstate" quality standards). From where you are off Sedwick rd, you can easily go left on 55, east on I-40, and west on 147 without too much trouble.

Now, I do realize that it reduces the ability of people to dodge the tolls. That's another subject altogether. But I don't think it's a horrible idea if the tolls weren't a factor.

--Jeremy