internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Raleigh needs a facelift

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Roger Austin <raustin3 AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Raleigh needs a facelift
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 18:05:05 -0400

Scott Chilcote wrote:
But back to the topic, I'd be happy to see Raleigh create some fun walking areas!

There are plenty of walkable areas in the Raleigh area, just not
areas that have a lot of cool stuff. We are off of Ridge Road and
this is a nice walkable area. I have to say that I don't much care
for downtown Raleigh. We have to go down there for concerts, ballet,
etc., but we go and then get out. Someday, I might change my mind,
but I don't feel comfortable down walking around down there. I also
don't take kindly to $7 to park in the deck for three hours. There
has to be free parking in safe areas to get people to go downtown
in the evenings.

I would agree that Raleigh is deficient in infrastructure for a
town this size. There are a lot of small towns making up the city
and that is much like other places. Unfortunately, many of the
little town neighborhoods don't have a central area like Five Points,
or a couple of other places. It is similar in St. Louis where there
are all kinds of small towns surrounding the main city and each of
them has a totally separate infrastructure.
Louisville has a nice downtown too, but people drive down from the
suburbs like here. The Ohio River isn't really center stage there so
there isn't much of a river walk. I've been to Tacoma which has no
downtown much except for the museums and a small convention center.
St. Paul, MN is a nice town with a walkable city center except that
it is so cold in the Winter that you freeze your hiney if you go
outside. (It was -14F when I was there.)

Raleigh really needs to work on parks. They also need to start
thinking of something other than a twenty block area downtown. There
is a lot more to Raleigh than the area between the squares. Capital
Boulevard needs to be wiped clean and given a fresh start. We need
to develop central business districts in the neighborhoods around
Raleigh rather than have everyone drive everywhere. Zoning has a lot
to do with that. Want to open a bar in a neighborhood? Sorry, can't
do that.

We are older so we are fairly laid back. I guess I have never lived
in an area where you could live for less with great amenities. It
sounds like a good place to be. The problem is that most places like
that end up pricing out the people I want to be around.

I would agree with everybody on all sides of the arguments. What
things would people want that Raleigh doesn't have now? Where have
you been that you think would be a good model for Raleigh to follow?

Enjoy, Roger

--
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/8/a4/60
Twitter: http://twitter.com/RogerTheGeek