internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Raleigh needs a facelift

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott Chilcote <scottchilcote AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Raleigh needs a facelift
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:33:17 -0400

Greg Cox wrote:
We lack an identity and a culture. I'm tired beyond belief at people
trotting out DPAC and American Tobacco Campus and the Carrboro Farmer's
Market as if those make RDU one baby step away from being the next big
thing. We're a sprawly mess whose best feature is that we're not too
far a drive away from things that people would actually want to visit.

Hi Greg,

Fun is where you find it, and for me there's a fair amount right here.

I enjoy going offroad bicycling on my mtb after work, and there are several miles of trails & singletrack within a short distance of RDU. Umstead Park is a gem for an urban sprawl like this, I hope we never lose sight of it. There are other great parks within half an hour's drive as well: Falls Lake, Jordan Lake, and Harris Lake for starters.

I enjoy watching and indie movie at the Galaxy and having warm samosas for a snack instead of popcorn. There are some great used bookstores within a few miles of my house, and a used CD/DVD store, so I almost never have to pay The Man's prices for media.

We have some rather decent libraries in Wake. I have three different independent computer/electronics stores nearby, one of which is a local chain. And when it comes to restaurants, I have a good selection of "better than average" non-chain choices within 20 minutes drive, most with outdoor seating. I know there are a lot of far better eateries in the world, but we continue to improve.

As far as good places to go for a walk, you nailed it there. The only place I enjoy strolling in this area is Carborro, and that's when school's out. But rather than staying indoors, I hop on my bike at lunchtime and ride around. If the fun places aren't close enough together to walk between, a pair of wheels can get you there and make the trip pleasant.

If I were still single and looking for excitement, bars and parties I'd want to be someplace else. As a married professional, I feel a lot better off here than I did in the Washington area. It was a pay raise and quality of life bump all at once.

I'll add that there's nothing particularly wrong to live in an area that is strong in daily conveniences but kind of weak in "destination" offerings, when, like you said, there are so many good places to go within a few hours drive.

Not too long ago I visited Austin, and was blown away by the great restaurants, cultural scene, and the attractive character of the city. But if you get tired of it, you have to drive for *days* to see anything that even comes close. That's not for me. I feel quite fortunate to have mountains, beaches, history, culture, and much more within a few hours drive.

But back to the topic, I'd be happy to see Raleigh create some fun walking areas!

Scott C.