internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] helping a local visitor

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: geschwin AT email.unc.edu
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] helping a local visitor
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 20:37:11 -0400

I will second the recommendation for Net10 mobile phone. Got an LG handset with charger, car charger, carrying pouch and a hands-free earbud along with 300 minutes of credit for $30 at Wal-Mart a couple of months ago.

Also, I supplement it with a Skype "subscription." For &6.95/month I can make unlimited calls (well, actually limited to 10,000 minutes/month which is de facto unlimited) from anywhere I travel with my laptop and where I have WiFi acces to any US landlines and mobiles so that I don't wear down my Net10 minutes for my daily 30+ minute calls to my wife.

Good Luck,
Bill

Quoting Mark Turner <jmarkturner AT gmail.com>:

David Matusiak wrote:

3. How about a phone? I advised to stick with mobile over landline,
but am not sure what options exist for a visitor.

I love my pre-paid Net10 mobile phone. You can buy them off the shelf at
many retailers: $40 for the phone and $.10/minute after that. Recharge
it on the web with a credit card.

http://www.markturner.net/?s=net10

If your friend is European then he or she is probably already familiar
with Skype. I say go with this for those international calls home.

Bellsouth DSL without the phone service:
https://ordering.bellsouth.com/apps/rnr/ordering/dryloop/controller.jsp?action=launch

--
Mark Turner
www.markturner.net