internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Anyone thinking of switching banks these days?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott Chilcote <scottchilcote AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Anyone thinking of switching banks these days?
  • Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 07:52:49 -0500

Lance A. Brown wrote:

I've been with CFCU since 1993 or 1994 and have always had good service
from them. The only time I've seen problems with their online banking
for CFCU have problems is during major system upgrades. Their last
round of upgrades, just recently, was fairly rough, but they got the
problems worked out and I like the new features.

--[Lance]

Coastal Federal got me upset when they made their ATMs non-free (for other banks and credit unions) and then began helping themselves to paper statement fees. I belong to two other credit unions and one bank (USAA), and none of the others do that. USAA does even better, and refunds the ATM fees that other banks charge.

It rankles that in the last decade or two, banks have started looking at fees as their primary source of profit. Much of what we pay fees for now was "part of doing business" when I began using banks. Credit Unions are starting to follow suit. Recurring fees drain away some of the benefit of compounding interest over time, to a greater extent than most of us would expect.

Nothing on you, Lance. As you can tell this issue bothers me... :-/

Scott C.