internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] web hosting

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Scott G. Hall" <ScottGHall AT BellSouth.Net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] web hosting
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 21:13:41 -0500

I would like to recommend Fat Cow, for $99/yr (about $8.25/mo).  I've been with them since 2001, and their support has been great, the menu of free (mostly opensource) one-click addons is very large, and they scale large and small well.  MySQL and SQLite are available for a one-time setup fee, but free thereafter.

But most of all, you can choose Sun Solaris (Sparc based), Linux or (heaven forbid) MS-Windows servers.  At least for the Linux and Solaris servers I have, you can upload your own compiled software as well as use many of the scripting languages to do your backend stuff.  Just link to standard Solaris or GNU libraries for CGI and database access using standard MySQL or SQLite bindings.  I like this because of building in C++ and compiling using Google Apps APIs and Xerces XML libraries.

Andrew Gray wrote:
My recommendations
Mediatemple for big sites that need to be able to scale in the future.
$20 per month
Bluehost for small stuff.  $8 per month

Both allow you to have basically unlimited domains, SSH access, one click installers of all kinds of opensource stuff,

Both are great companies. Support on both is great,

Hi everyone,
Can anyone recommend a good web hosting service for a small business? I've been mooching off of ibiblio forever (love you guys!) so I don't have a relationship with any particular host at the moment.
--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA