internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] "Winweb Security" A Virus?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] "Winweb Security" A Virus?
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:45:51 -0500

On Dec 16, 2008, at 1:43 PM, <cmccarthy1 AT nc.rr.com> <cmccarthy1 AT nc.rr.com > wrote:

I'd never (never) had a virus on any of my home machines until last week, now I think that I may have a few.

winlogon.exe can be the true Windows executable, or it can be a virus. Have any of you XP users downloaded SP3? If so, did you see a DOS window after the installation and reboot that was up and down pretty quickly that had winlongon.exe in it? I think that I might have seen this because the virus/malware was replacing the real winlogon.exe with the viral winlogon.exe..

With Windows its not unheard of to reinstall the OS and all the apps once a year. If you have had this machine for a while it may be time to just punt and reinstall.

Michael Czeiszperger
Chapel Hill, NC

"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - H. Simpson