internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] "Winweb Security" A Virus?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] "Winweb Security" A Virus?
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 19:06:05 -0500

on Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 04:10:33PM -0500, Colleen McCarthy wrote:
> Do any of you know anything about "Winweb Security"?

I see Steve's already answered this.

> I run Norton-- shouldn't it have caught this if it is a virus?

*muffled cough*

Might want to take a look at this:

http://garwarner.blogspot.com/2008/08/anti-virus-products-still-fail-on-fresh.html

(Gar's "Director of Research in Computer Forensics" at UAB.)

In a word, no. If you're not running border antivirus (or locking down
any way they could get to your computer), running multiple AV programs
as well as running regular antispyware scans, and you're running Windows,
odds are very good you already have several viruses. The really smart
ones don't even slow down your computer these days. Sorry.

--
hesketh.com/inc. v: +1(919)834-2552 f: +1(919)834-2553 w: http://hesketh.com/
antispam news, solutions for sendmail, exim, postfix: http://enemieslist.com/