internetworkers - [internetworkers] Thank you, Tarus Balog!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Thank you, Tarus Balog!
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 22:12:30 -0400

Tarus Balog, International Open Source Superstar, threw a party tonight in his hometown of Pittsboro, NC. He invited a few of his friends, and he invited us, the Triangle InterNetWorkers. It was a treat when he decided to sponsor food and drinks. It was even more spectacular that he got 40+ people to show up to the first InterNetWorkers event in over a year! http://www.opennms.org/ http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

The Carolina Brewery was easy to find; just turn into the Lowe's complex south of Hwy 64 on 15-501 S. They had good food and excellent beer, my favorite being the Blue Sky Ale. A lot of old school INW people made it out (Kevin S, Michael C, Greg C, Tanner L) and lots of new faces, too. I did not get to meet everybody and that is the only regrettable portion of the evening (hopefully we'll meet next time).

Thanks to the power of real-time, in-person networking I was able to finally meet my former online nemesis, Jim Ray of Neuse River Networks (Raleigh, NC). For better or for worse, Jim and I had disagreed strongly in the past and felt the need to express it online. These sorts of things can (thankfully) be resolved offline. We got to chat for awhile and Jim even conceded "You are not such a bad guy." I felt extremely flattered to hear this and believe I may have agreed with him, as well.

Overall, the gathering was fantastic. Win-win! Thank you Tarus for arranging and sponsoring the September 2008 InterNetWorkers gathering! Lots of people expressed interest in rejuvenating INW monthly meetings and this enthusiasm is because of Tarus' efforts. Thanks again! See you all next time!

Dave M.