internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] mp3 sites

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Lyman Green" <lymang AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] mp3 sites
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 21:13:26 -0400

If you have an MP3 player that only plays MP3's, you have a few choices, but I will tell you, almost all of them at the very least strongly suggest if not require that you use a "downloader" for their files.

Amazon.com (already mentioned by Tarus and David) provides DRM-free MP3 music files
I believe they actually require you use their downloader.  Once you have the files you may move them as you see fit, synch them as you see fit.  Amazon sells individual tracks, but I have to say it's a MUCH better deal most of the time to buy the whole album.

Emusic.com provides DRM-free MP3 music and audio books.  I don't think they sell singles though, they offer a monthly subscription rate (varying plans) and you can use credits to download whatever you see fit.  You have to use their downloader.

A lot of individual bands are selling MP3's minus DRM.  Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead, They Might Be Giants, and others have all offered downloads from their sites, and often with no downloader.

Lyman