internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Cleaning Air Conditioning Evaporator Coils, Air Conditioning PM

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Mark Turner <jmarkturner AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: cmccarthy1 AT nc.rr.com
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Cleaning Air Conditioning Evaporator Coils, Air Conditioning PM
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:25:26 -0400

If all you need is to clean the coils you may be fine doing it yourself. For everything else I would go with the experts as its been my experience that air conditioners are finicky beasts. Anyone who does battle with them regularly knows methods to tame them that I do not.

Capacitors may need to be replaced and they can give you a nasty, potentially fatal shock. Refrigerant may leak and need to be refilled and it has to be handled professionally. This kind of maintenance is better left to professionals. If your preventative maintenance will do all of this then it may be the better deal.

Good luck!

Mark

Colleen McCarthy wrote:
Hi Folks,

I get a moldy smell when turning on my AC the first few times in the spring, and then on-and-off during the summer. After an email exchange with Don Bartolf and a conversation with the individual who installed my gas pack, the problem is most likely dirty evaporator coils.

I can pay a HVAC company to come out and clean the condenser coils, and also do some other preventative maintenance (check the draw on the blower motor and compressor, the refrigerant pressure, the capacitors, and the contacts) for $260. Or I can go online and get a cleaning kit _http://www.mainsupplies.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=60&zenid=jcn9ucmpts5hf8oisl1v2m5td0_ <http://www.mainsupplies.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=60&zenid=jcn9ucmpts5hf8oisl1v2m5td0> and do it myself.

Do any of you have any comments on which option I should take?

Thanks much!

Colleen