internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] whiners

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Simon Spero" <ses AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] whiners
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 06:48:32 -0400

On 5/3/07, Andrew C. Oliver <acoliver AT buni.org> wrote:
Probably because "professional cat herder" is in several of my bios in various conferences and stuff.  So google associates me with "cat" and thus shows you a declawing ad because I'm involved in the thread.  Its not a slip it is just a loose association and excessive literalism.

That's exactly what makes it a Bayesian slip!

Bayesian slip (n) : a statistically valid but wildly incorrect  inference or association which accidentally reveals a hidden truth.

Example:  an association between a thread about dealing with whiners and  the topic of cat declawing.

Simon // hell, it's been ages since I last made the OED ; I gotta get back on the horse sometime