internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Mac software recommendations?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tanner Lovelace" <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Mac software recommendations?
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 15:42:48 -0400

On 5/31/06, Michael Tucker <michaeltucker AT nc.rr.com> wrote:
Which is the best email/address/calendaring combination to use on the Mac?
The default Mail and Address, iCal apps? Thunderbird? Any advice? FYI- I
currently use outlook, and its email, address book, and calendaring
features. I was just going to switch everything over to the Mac's default
apps, but thought maybe you guys had other ideas/options that you might
recommend.

The default Address and iCal apps are definitely the way to go. iSync works
with them and will let you sync all your data to whatever other things you
have (I currently sync to my Palm, iPod, and RAZR). I wish it would also
sync to Google calendar, but I'm sure someone will come up with that sooner
or later.

As far as Mail is concerned, lots of people use Mail.app. It works well, from
what I hear, and integrates with the built in address book. I
personally, however,
use Thunderbird because I can't stand Mail.app's lack of good keyboard
shortcuts.
Thunderbird doesn't yet, however, integrate with the built in address book.
There's a patch going around that will let Thunderbird read from it, but IMHO
it's just a halfway measure and T-Bird really needs full address book
integration.

I also hear Mail.app also has presence notification (i.e. if a contact
is online in
iChat, you can see that in Mail.app when you're reading/composing a message
from/to them). Don't know if that's important to you or not, but just thought
I'd throw it out there. Doesn't work with Adium in any case, afaik. (Which,
btw, is an EXCELLENT multi-protocol IM client and you really should consider
it over iChat.)

Anyway, please post your experiences with the MacBook in a few weeks.
I'd love to hear them as I hope to get one myself soon.

Cheers,
Tanner

--
Tanner Lovelace